What is periodontal disease? Although it comes in a variety of forms, periodontal disease, also commonly referred to as gum disease, is an oral infection caused by damage to your gum tissue within your mouth. Although gum disease has many stages, if left untreated it can eventually lead to infection and tooth loss. Listed below are some common signs and symptoms of gum disease:
– Gums that are extremely sensitive and show signs of abuse, such as swelling, tenderness, extreme redness, or bleeding.
– Gums that bleed easily when brushing or flossing could be damaged from periodontal disease.
– A common symptom of periodontal disease is constant halitosis, also known as bad breath.
– Look for gums that are receding from the teeth, with teeth beginning to feel loose.
– Smoking and chewing tobacco, as well as recreational drugs, can increase your risk for periodontal disease.
– Dry mouth, often caused by medications, can increase your risk for periodontal disease.
For more oral health care advice or to schedule an oral exam to check for periodontal disease with Dr. Damon Wright and our team at our dentist office in Jonesboro, Arkansas, please contact Wright Family Dentistry at 870.932.2300. We look forward to helping you soon!