Periodontal gum disease is caused by bacteria in your mouth that destroys the surrounding tissues around your teeth. This process is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults. The skilled team of dentists at Wright Family Dentistry has many treatment options for stopping the disease, or more importantly preventing it to begin with. There are also a few things you can do to prevent plaque buildup, including brushing and flossing. Listed below are some of the dangers that can cause periodontal gum disease:
– Hormones: As hormones change in women and young girls, it increases the chances for gingivitis to develop, which can lead to more serious types of gum disease.
– Chewing Tobacco: Tobacco increases the risk of gum disease.
– Diabetes: Diabetes increases the risk for many infectious diseases, including gum disease.
– Smoking: Smoking is considered by many dentists as one of the most significant risk factors for gum disease. Smoking also decreases treatment success rates.
– Poor Diet: Lack of proper nutrition can increase your risk of gum disease.
– Medications: Many medications produce a side effect of dry mouth symptoms. The lack of saliva in a person’s mouth makes them more susceptible to gum disease.
– Genetics: Genetics play a huge role in the development of gum disease. Genetics can make individuals up to six times more likely to have symptoms of the disease.
If you need additional help in combating plaque buildup, please come in for an oral exam. You can make an appointment with Dr. Damon Wright by contacting our fantastic dentists at Wright Family Dentistry at 870.932.2300. You can also stop by our office in Jonesboro, Arkansas. The future of your oral health is yours to control, let us help make it great!