A cavity is caused by the wearing down of tooth enamel until a hole if formed in the tooth. Although tooth enamel can be damaged in a variety of ways, they are most often caused by the foods that we eat being converted into harmful acids in our mouth. Combating cavities begins with preventing the buildup of plaque and other acid forming bacteria. Listed below are a few cavity prevention tips and guidelines:
– Never skip your bi-annual professional cleanings at Wright Family Dentistry. If you have any oral health care concerns, schedule a visit for an oral examination.
– Eat healthy and nutritious meals and try to avoid snacks in between meals.
– Never let food residue sit too long in your mouth, especially products high in sugar. Consider using sugarless gum, a water flosser, or mouthwash to wash away the harmful residue.
– Look for oral health care products that have been given the ADA Seal of Acceptance by the American Dental Association, and/or have been recommended or approved by your dentist.
– Make sure to fully brush your teeth and gums at least twice every day. Never forget to floss every day as well.
To discuss your oral health care options with Dr. Damon Wright and the rest of our team, simply book an appointment at our dentist office in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Our number is 870.932.2300. Come see us, and let us show you the benefits of cavity prevention today!